Saturday, April 19, 2008

Exploring lowriders in San José, California, USA





photo credits: diego
cihuacoatl gomez

We are a group of teens working with MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana
(http://www.maclaarte.org/about.html) to create digital narratives on low-riders. Low-riders
are one of the many cultural icons of San José, California, USA, particularly of the Chicano
culture. We're interested in a few topics about low-riders: their culture and their influence
on other cultures, low-rider diversity of expression, and how sex and technology intersect
in low-rider culture. For a primer on low-rider culture, please visit:
(http://www.acfnewsource.org/art/low_riders.html).

Let's introduce ourselves...

My name is Melina Alexa Ramirez. I’m a senior at DCP (Downtown College Prep) right now
in San José, but I'm planning to go to Santa Clara University to learn more about art and culture
and do some of the things I want to do before I die :)
For this project I want to explore the aspect of lowrider culture where the cars are presented
as women's bodies or how pinups are painted on or model with the cars. Really, I want to explore
the relationship between sex and technology, and how that's applied to lowriders because I notice
this kind of sexual pride and admiration when presented.

my name is diego cihuacoatl gomez and i was born and raised in san jose ca.
i have a huge family made up of cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents that
spread through california and into baja.
i looooooove basketball; watchin it and playin it.
i write poetry and short stories for a hobby. i attend downtown college prep in san josé and
i'm a junior. that's it.
i'm interested
in lowrider cars because it’s something Chicanos have
made completely their own. it’s a reflection on two cultures... a hybrid.
and also the cars are just plain beautiful!
they’re " butterflies with transmitions" I once heard someone say.

My name is Aranttza Sauza. I'm 17 years old and I go to Del Mar High. I live
in the west of San José and I love to eat, listen to music, and make new friends.
I would also love to travel and take pictures of what I saw on the other side of the world.
Well, I'm really happy and glad that I'm participating in this project, I love the idea of lowriders.
I have worked at MACLA taking pictures of lowriders, so it's going to be really interesting.

No comments: